What is phpShop?
phpShop is a PHP-powered shopping cart application. It is released under the GNU General Public License. The primary purpose of phpShop is to provide a simple shopping cart solution that is easy to customize to suit any purpose. phpShop has less features that many other shopping cart applications, but is generally easier to customize. All that is required to effectively customize phpShop is a basic knowledge of HTML, PHP, and SQL.
phpShop is written in PHP and therefore requires the PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. phpShop also requires a database; phpShop currently supports MySQL for this purpose.
The original developers of phpShop needed to build a shopping cart web site. A search for an open source solution was conducted and it was found that several solutions were available. However, they found that many of the solutions were much too primitive. Other solutions were fairly complete but much too complicated to learn since they used their own tag language or were based on early CGI scripting languages. And most importantly, the solutions were dificult to customize. What the developers really needed was a shopping cart that:
- was easy to customize.
- had source code that was easy to understand.
- was based on a programming language that was easy to learn.
- was easy to design new layouts in a web page design program.
phpShop is easy to customize. The phpShop source code is easy to understand. phpShop is based on PHP. It is easy to design new layouts using a web page design program.
Over the years, the developers have been tempted to cram just about every feature ever thought of into phpShop. However, a final decision was made to keep things simple and to not extensively increase the feature set. Thus, the developers have limited themselves to maintaining a stable set of features in the code base. The current list of features are as follows:
- Design/Layout Features
- Use of CSS-based themes
- Easily integrated with Dreamweaver or any other HTML editor for visual customization of design
- Store Features
- Shopping cart per visiting shopper
- Minicart visible for shoppers as they browse site
- Simple search tool for finding products
- Category based navigation of store
- Show current specials
- Store Administration Features
- Sales statistics
- Order management and processing
- Manage multiple order status type
- Update order statuses
- Product Features
- WYSIWYG editing of product descriptions
- Unlimited number of products
- Display products in thumbnail and full size
- Unlimited number of product categories
- Unlimited number of product attributes
- Supports product specials and availability dates
- Able to display multiple prices per product (EURO or Retail Price)
- Pricing based on shopper groups
- SKU based product listings with SKU's at the product attribute(s) level
- Multiple currencies
- Product import from CSV file
- Administration Features
- Easy to use web based store administration
- Database driven for dynamic store maintenance
- Administrative user management
- SSL template driven admin and storefront pages
- Upload category, product, and store images via web browser
- Easy customization using standard WYSIWYG HTML editors
- Shopping Features
- Cookie-less shopping
- Multiple shipping addresses per shopper
- Separate shipping and handling charge calculation
- Customizable zone based tax calculation (city/state & country/region)
- Ability to create shopper groups
- Order Features
- Order management with customizable order status types
- Email notifications of orders
- Live credit card processing through payment processors
- Shoppers can view orders with status
- Tax Features
- Ability to set tax rates for multiple countries, states and cities.
- Shopper Features
- Shoppers registration
- Shoppers have secure account access to view current and previous orders
- Shipping address book for storing multiple shipping or billing addresses
- Shipping Features
- Zone based shipping methods